What do the star ratings mean?
The English Tourist Board accredits hotels that participate with a star rating. The facilities expected for each rating level are in addition to the facilities expected in the level below, therefore a 3 star hotel will also provide the facilities listed under a 1 and 2 star hotel. Find out about what you can expect from star rated hotels below:
- Practical accommodation with a limited range of facilities and services, but a high standard of cleanliness throughout.
- Friendly and courteous staff to give you the help and information you need to enjoy your stay.
- 75% of bedrooms will have en-suite or private facilities.
- Good overnight accommodation with more comfortable bedrooms, better equipped - all with en-suite or private facilities and colour TV.
- Relatively straightforward range of services, including food and drink and a personal style of service.
- A dining room for breakfast.
- Possibly larger establishments, but all offering significantly greater quality and range of facilities and services, and usually more spacious public areas and bedrooms.
- A more formal style of service with a receptionist on duty and staff responding well to your needs and requests.
- Room service.
- Laundry service available.
- Accommodation offering superior comfort and quality; all bedrooms with en-suite bath, fitted overhead shower and WC.
- The hotel will have spacious and very well appointed public areas.
- Staff will have very good technical and social skills, anticipating and responding to your needs and requests.
- Room service of all meals and 24 hour drinks, refreshments and snacks.
- A spacious, luxurious establishment offering you the highest international quality of accommodation, facilities, services and cuisine.
- It will have striking accommodation throughout, with a range of extra facilities.
- You will feel very well cared for by professional, attentive staff providing flawless guest services.
- A hotel that fits the highest international standards for the industry, with an air of luxury, exceptional comfort and a sophisticated ambience.